Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Garden Time

We are trying out some pumpkins this year! I have the seedlings growing inside the house right now under some 48" fluorescent lights. I built a simple plywood stand out of some scrap to mount the lights to. This works really well and I think I bought the light fixtures for like 8 bucks at home depot.


Here is the light stand I built. I did a lot of research on the web and found tons of people using this method. These light fixtures are much cheaper compared to grow lights you would find at a hydroponics store, but still very effective. I am still very new to gardening and this is only my third time starting plants using this approach. I would say that in my experience this is an exceptional way to start your plants from seeds. We have started Watermelons, Cayenne peppers, Bell peppers, Serrano peppers and now Pumpkins with this set up. I just hope that I started the pumpkins early enough for Halloween.



The bigger one on the right sprouted in like 4 days. I was really surprised that they germinated so fast hopefully they maintain this growth. The one to the left popped up a few days later.

This guy seems to be a little lazy almost a week and a half later finally popping.

As you can see the wood projects we do can sometimes be something very simple. This is a very easy project that almost anyone at any skill level can complete with minimal tools. Me and my family really enjoy growing fruits and vegetables that we can benefit from and we are teaching our children how to maintain a healthier lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment